How to Choose an Opioid Rehab Center in Memphis, TN
An estimated 16 million people worldwide live with opioid abuse and addiction. Many of those with opioid addiction require treatment to recover, but only a small percentage get the help they need to overcome it. Without treatment, addiction is likely to get worse. People with addiction often suffer life-altering harm to their mental and physical health and significant strain on their relationships.
Over time, ongoing substance abuse changes how a person’s body and brain work. It can be incredibly challenging–and sometimes dangerous–for people to stop using drugs or alcohol without the supervision and support of an addiction treatment program.
In addiction treatment, people get the immediate treatment and care they need to stop using drugs or alcohol safely. They learn the skills they need to overcome opioid addiction and prevent relapse in the future. People also have the chance to make an aftercare plan that will help them stay committed to recovery for the rest of their life. But how do you choose the right opioid rehab center near you?
If you are one of the millions of people in this country who live with opioid addiction, it is crucial to choose to get the help you need. Seeking substance abuse treatment can be a life-saving decision.
If you are searching for a Tennessee opioid rehab facility, reach out to the staff at PAX Memphis for more information about our treatment programs.
How to Choose an Opioid Rehab in Memphis: the Basics
Finding the right opioid addiction treatment program can seem overwhelming. There are many facilities, levels of care, and programs to choose from. Before beginning to look for a Tennessee opioid rehab, you must verify your insurance and find the addiction specialists who can help you. Then, you can take some simple steps to help choose the right opioid rehab center.
First, look for the following signs of a high-quality treatment facility:
- The program is third-party accredited
- Staff is trained and licensed to provide addiction treatment services
- Staff to patient ratio is legal
- The environment feels safe and calm
- There are strict admission criteria
- You will spend the majority of your treatment time engaging in evidence-based therapies
Before committing to treatment at a specific facility, speak with the staff and ask all questions you may have. Request proof of licensure and accreditation. Take a tour of the facility, if possible.
Choosing an Opioid Rehab in Memphis to Meet Your Unique Needs
No two people have precisely the same experiences or treatment needs. It is important to consider your unique needs before selecting an opioid rehab. Things to consider include:
- Requiring mental health treatment
- Needing ongoing medical treatment
- Finding the correct level of care to meet your needs
- Flexibility to move to a different program if needed
- Wanting holistic therapies that allow whole-person healing
- The approach or techniques you prefer, including MAT
- Preference for gender-specific treatment
- Incorporating cultural or religious practices
It’s important that you feel as comfortable as possible during rehab so that you can stay committed to recovery throughout your time in treatment. Finding a treatment facility that can meet these needs can help you stay engaged in the treatment process.
Choosing a Tennessee Opioid Rehab That Offers Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is a type of addiction treatment that uses medications to reduce discomfort during withdrawal and recovery and reduce cravings for drugs and alcohol. Medication-assisted therapy can be used to support the recovery of patients in an opioid addiction treatment program.
In an opioid addiction treatment program that uses MAT, patients participate in treatments and therapies that treat the physical, behavioral, and emotional aspects of opioid addiction. These treatments include:
- Intake assessment and evaluation
- Individual psychotherapy or counseling
- Medically-supervised detox
- Medication management
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Holistic treatments, such as meditation, exercise, nutrition counseling, and art therapy
Medication-assisted treatment is designed to help people overcome addiction and learn the skills they need to live healthy, fulfilling lives in recovery. Instead of simply treating the physical aspects of opioid addiction, MAT programs address every aspect of addiction and work to treat the whole person. Regardless of the length, severity, or complexity of your addiction, an MAT program can help you achieve your goal of lifelong sobriety.
While the overall goal of MAT is lifelong recovery from opioid addiction, these types of programs have several other measurable outcomes. These include:
- Decreasing illicit activity related to opioid use
- Increasing the patient’s odds of survival
- Keeping people committed to the treatment process
- Improving people’s likelihood of finding and maintaining work
- Decreasing pregnancy and birth complications in pregnant people with opioid addiction
Research shows that MAT programs improve patients’ ability to recover from opioid addiction. Short and long-term success rates are improved in medication-assisted treatment programs. This means patients have a better experience during treatment and an increased likelihood of lifelong recovery from opioid addiction.
Find an Opioid Rehab Center in Memphis, TN Today
If you or someone you love needs treatment for opioid addiction or support during recovery, reach out to the caring PAX Memphis addiction specialists today.
Medically Reviewed: September 25, 2019
All of the information on this page has been reviewed and verified by a certified addiction professional.